Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Tim Harmston Edition


            Tim Harmston is a name you’ll want to remember. Although he is originally from Wisconsin, Tim got his start in the Minneapolis comedy scene. Tim won the Twin Cities Funniest Person in 2003, within a year of his first time being on stage. He has since appeared on Comedy Central’s “Live at Gotham” and most recently appeared on “Late Show with David Letterman.” I’ve had the pleasure of performing at a few of the same open mics as Tim, and he’s one of the funniest comics I know.
            For this post, I asked Tim to talk more about why he does comedy. It sounds so simple, but I think it’s interesting to find out what draws people back on stage time and time again.

--When people ask, the first thing I tell them is that I do comedy because I'm basically a screwup. Not that being a screwup is a prerequisite for being a comedian, but it sure helps. Let's face it: If I were good at academics or had some predominant skill that allowed me to advance into a professional, respectable occupation (i.e. “big boy” job), a career in comedy wouldn't have even crossed my mind.
But there I was, 30 years old, staring at a dead end job, without motivation to pursue the American Dream (i.e. 9 to 5 job, wife, alcoholism). That's when comedy appeared, like a Sunday morning cable access faith healer, preying on my weak, destitute soul with its promises of healing and good fortune. It remains to be seen if any of comedy's promises will be kept, but it won't bother me if they aren't because I don't have anywhere else to turn.
That's the business end, the practical, bill-paying explanation of why I do comedy. The internal, emotional reason that I do comedy probably can't be explained. Okay, well, maybe it can, but I don’t like trying to. It's like when a person gets diagnosed with a terminal disease. Some people will let their friends and family know; some people will keep it a secret, not wanting to trouble anyone with such grave news. I'm kind of like the latter—I don't want to trouble anyone with the dark details. But here's a muddled attempt. I'm guessing I struggle to explain why I really do comedy because I might have to admit that I have an ego. That's hard to accept since I was raised to not have one. Maybe the acceptance of the laughter is an implicit validation of my ego. Or, maybe it just feels good to make people laugh. The real answer probably lies somewhere in between.--

I love Tim’s words here because this is an extremely relatable way to talk about comedy for me personally. Tim talks about comedy in a similar way that people have heard Louis CK and Marc Maron in that they describe comedy as something to turn to. It’s something that is there for them when they need it.
He also brings up that doing comedy was what he did to get out of rut that he was in. There are many people that will take their dead-end job, and live paycheck to paycheck until they die or if they’re lucky something better falls into their lap. Other people do something dramatic. Some people buy a car, some people get a divorce, some people get on stage and talk about poop. Now, as far as I know, Tim doesn’t have any poop material, but you get the idea.
The final point he makes is a terrific encapsulation of what gets comics addicted to the stage. Comics can often be described as self-loathing narcissist, and to come to terms with the fact that the addiction very well could have to do with the ego boost we get when we hear laughter. Like Tim, I’d rather not admit that I have an ego, but the sensation you get rolling down your spine when you get a huge laugh very well could be your brain’s way of telling you “you’re awesome, you’re the king, you’re the funniest dude on the planet.” And there’s no way that sensation isn’t addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment